Category: Historic Sites , Museums ,
Suitable for Family Suitable for Adults
Peshawar Museum, formerly the Victoria Memorial Hall, was built near the east end of the Mall in 1905. Its long hall, flanked by side galleries and with a raised platform at the far end, was the ballroom. The museum has one of the best collections of Gandhara art in Pakistan, all well arranged and labelled. Sculptures illustrating the life of the Buddha are laid out in chronological order. The fasting Buddha here is even more haunting than the one in Lahore Museum. There is also an ethnological section, the Hall of Tribes, with wooden carvings from the Kalash people in Chitral, and a Muslim Gallery. The smaller Sir Sahibzada Abdul Qayyum Museum located inside the University of Peshawar also houses a fine collection of Gandhara Art. Adjacent to the museum building is the Shahi Mehmankhana, or the Royal Guest House, formerly called Cunninghams Mehmankhana, which was built in 1942 and named after Sir George Cunningham. It serves as a government rest house. The government run Archives Library is situated near the eastern end of the museum. It has a fair collection of old documents, books and other research material related to the region.