Sadar Rd, Peshawar, KPK
what should be here?
The Peshawar museum was founded in 1907 in memory of Queen Victoria. The two-story building features an amalgamation of British, South Asian, Hindu, Buddhist and Mughal Islamic architectural styles. Originally, there was only one main hall. Two halls were added in 1969-70. In 2004-05, an additional block was completed with two galleries, two halls for the reserve collection, and offices for the provincial directorate of archaeology, a conservation laboratory and a cafeteria. The original building was renovated during that time.
The current collection has almost 14,000 items based on Gandhara, Greco-Buddhist, Kushan, Parthian, and lndo-Scythian life. Valuables include art, sculptures, coins, manuscripts, statues, and ancient books, early versions of the Holy Quran, weapons, dresses, jewellery, Kalash effigies, inscriptions, paintings of the Mughal and later periods, household materials and pottery, as well as local and Persian handicrafts.